Sometimes you just have to start. You can think, strategize, and plan what you are going to do, and how you are going to do it, not realizing how much time goes by.
When you look in the mirror and realize you are blue in the face (eek!) and still haven’t done anything (yikes!), its time to just start.
The folks at Nike nailed it decades ago: “Just Do It.” So don’t worry about the “how” so much, just pick something and go. Trust that the task will evolve as you move through it. It will unfold as it should. Here are 7 mindset shifts that can help you get going in the right direction:
1. Problems are opportunities – Focus your challenges on opportunities to learn. I know it sounds cheesy, but it works! My little brother failed the GED Essay, then he found the BestGEDclasses website and learned not only how to write an essay, but also how to pass all 4 GED Test subjects.
2. Creating value is most important – Find out what you do that your audience/customer/client values most, and do more of THAT. Be wary of trying to be everything for everyone.
3. Expect the unexpected – When you fully accept the twists and turns of your journey, you will enjoy it more and find it easier to let go of frustration when things don’t go exactly as planned. Be aware of some nasty negative Social Media Marketing Tactics.
4. Fear is often an indication that something is worth doing – Notice I said “often.” Like Scaredy Squirrel, be safe on your adventures into the unknown.
5. Time is sacred – Don’t make yourself too available, or you will forever be responding to emails and social media posts, following links, answering the phone, etc. Close your office door, shut down email and Facebook, forward your phone to voicemail, and set a timer. Rock and roll. Repeat daily for best results and remember Moore’s Law.
6. Positive results are the result of positive thinking – You may think this is pretty obvious. Maybe you think it sounds like a whole lot of psychology “fluff.” My friends, the proof is in the pudding (aka a scientific study). Positive thoughts allow you to see greater possibilities, and that just screams success! Read more about the effects of positive thought on our ability to learn, our health, and our work at the Huffington Post. Take also a look at this post on new customer acquisition and customer retention.
7. Perfection is non-existent – There is no yardstick by which to measure how close we are getting to perfection, its entirely immeasurable (not to mention exhausting!). Instead, strive for your goals, and know that the path that gets you there, is irrelevant. You will experience more joy in life with this thinking.
Sooo, now that I’ve put out there what YOU should do, I suspect its high time I did the same. I have spent too much time thinking, strategizing, and planning, and not enough time doing. If you are in the same boat, and on top of it all you have a pile of administrative tasks left undone at the end of each day, I could be the next stop on your success journey.
Keep on being fantastic. You can also learn a lot by just looking back in our recent history. Just think about how big brands shifted from off-line brands to the most powerful online brands!